Quality Homoeopathic Medical Education and moral values being the core driving ethics of Solan Homoeopathic Medical College & Hospital, towards turning out professionals of high caliber with strong sense of ethical judgments. Social integration of students’ population coming from different parts of the country with most diverse cultural and social back grounds, becomes a matter of prime importance.
- 1. ‘Ragging’ a social menace, as such has no place in academic environment of the college and concerted efforts are required to be in place to prevent its occurrence at any point of time. Hence a balanced ‘anti-ragging policy’ is adopted by the institution. An “Anti-Ragging committee” has been formed and brought into operation. Notice that displays the name of committee members can be seen on the college notice board.
- 2. Hon’ble Supreme Court of India, during December 2007 has expressed concern over the incidents of ragging occurring in higher educational institutions and the need to eliminate it altogether.
- 3. The report of the Raghavan Committee constituted as per directions of the Supreme Court of India has already been adopted by the University Grants Commission.
- 4. The Ministry of Human Resource Development, Govt. of India has taken a serious note of the incidents of ragging and is of the view that stern action should be taken against those indulging in “ragging” so that these incidents are not repeated and exemplary punishment is meted out to those indulging in it.
- 5. Ragging is a criminal offence and lowers the standards of education. The ‘anti-ragging policy’ adopted by the institution takes care of preventive, procedural and punitive aspects of ragging based on the guidelines provided by Hon’ble Supreme Court of India, recommendations of the Raghavan Committee, instructions/guidelines issued by the University Grants Commission, Ministry of HRD (Govt. of India) and Govt. of Himachal Pradesh.
I. POLICY OBJECTIVES
This policy encourages socialization of students to the academic environment of the institution, simultaneously discouraging and preventing any negative acts on parts of senior students, which goes against the basic purpose of Socio academic integration. The ‘anti-ragging policy’ adopted by the institution therefore is aimed at:
- 1. Creation, Development and nurturing a conducive, socio-academic environment within the student population.
- 2. Generating and maintaining a high level of confidence within new entrants and their parents/guardians to perceive that fresh entrants to the institution are welcome and provided support, rather than being harassed and intimidated.
- 3. Prescribing deterrent measures for any violation of the “Anti-Ragging Policy” by way of disciplinary measures.
For the purpose of this policy ;
- 1. ‘Institution’ means Solan Homoeopathic Medical College & Hospital .
- 2. ‘Student’ includes any person who is enrolled for B.H.M.S course, with the institution including interns.
- 3. ‘Hostel’- includes the place where freshers are accommodated through institutional or private arrangements.
4. ‘Ragging’ is defined as;
- I. Any disorderly conduct, whether by words spoken or written or by an act, which has the affect of teasing or handling with rudeness any other students, rowdy or undisciplined activities, which causes or is likely to cause annoyance, hardship or psychological harm or to raise fear or apprehension thereof in a fresher or a junior student or asking the student to do any act or perform something, which such students will not do in the ordinary course and which has the effect of causing or generating a sense of shame or embarrassment, so as to adversely affect the physique or psyche of a fresher or a junior student.
- II. Ragging has several aspects among others psychological, social, political, economic, cultural and academic dimensions. The Psychological aspects of ragging are seen to cause permanent damage to the victims’ personality. Such treatment of young and impressionable minds could result in traumatizing them and damaging their personalities beyond repair in the formative years of their lives.
III. PREVENTIVE ASPECTS OF RAGGING
- 1. Address of the Principal, Administrative Officer and Departmental In-charges Principal, Administrative Officer and Departmental Incharges, during their discussions with parents/guardians, admission aspirants/ fresh students at the time of counseling meets, new batch inaugurals and other such occasions, should invariably assure the students and parents about full protection and support against any attempts of ragging by seniors while briefly introducing the ‘Anti Ragging Policy’ of the institution. The efforts during such meets be directed towards achieving socio-academic integration of new students with the specific merit oriented environment of mutuality and trust of the institution.
- 2. Fresher’s Party Seniors, be encouraged to organize, “Welcome Party” for new entrants. For this purpose an organizing committee will be constituted, out of senior students to whom, a senior faculty member will supervise. Such a party, by senior students, be organized within first month, of the beginning of academic session.
- 3. Mentoring Cells The institution has a ‘Mentoring Cell’- functioning under guidance of Senior Faculty and in direct supervision of the Principal. There are two senior student (one male and one female) mentors for a specified group of 10 junior students. Membership to the ‘mentoring cell’ by senior students would be on voluntary basis by inviting applications and nominating membership on yearly basis.
- 4. Watch and Ward arrangements Each mentor should identify all vulnerable locations, and ensure keeping a constant vigil and watch at such locations including monitoring of the atmosphere and the environment at eating ‘Joints’ (Canteens, Cafes, ‘khoka’, Dhabas etc). Hostel / accommodations, where freshers are accommodated, are required to be carefully guarded if necessary, by posting security personnel and placed in charge of a warden.
DECLARATION BY THE CANDIDATES
The candidates accepting the offer of the admission have to sign the following undertaking :-
UNDERTAKING BY THE CANDIDATE
I certify that I have gone through the ‘Anti Ragging Policy’ of the Solan Homoeopathic Medical College & Hospital, and I agree to sign the declaration regarding the ‘Anti Ragging’ and also submit the same countersigned by my parents/guardians at the time of admission.
I am aware that ragging is banned in the Solan Homoeopathic Medical College & Hospital and if I am found guilty of ragging, I will be liable for appropriate punishment, which may include expulsion from the institution.
Signatures of the candidate
UNDERTAKING BY THE PARENT / GUARDIAN
I am aware that ragging is banned in the Solan Homoeopathic Medical College & Hospital and if my son/daughter/ward namely …………………………………… is found guilty of ragging, he/she will be liable for appropriate punishment which may include expulsion from the institute.
Signature of the parent/guardian
IV. PROCEDURAL AND PUNITIVE ASPECTS
A. Ragging Reporting Procedure
- If any individual believes that he or she has been subjected to ‘ragging’ or has knowledge of any such incident, such person shall have option to file a complaint with the Principal. This may be done in writing or orally. Written complaint is preferable.
- Members of the ‘Enquiry Committee’ will also be available to discuss any concerns exhibited by any student or a group of students, about ragging.
- All formal/Informal complaints of “ragging “may be made to the Principal as soon as possible.
B. Enquiry Committee (EC)
A three member enquiry committee, (of which one will be a female member) to be nominated by the Principal will investigate all reported cases of ragging, in such a way, so as to maintain confidentiality to the extent practicable under the circumstances. The investigations should start within 3 days of reporting the incident and reports finalized by the ‘Enquiry Committee’ pinpointing the involvement of the accused along with recommendations relating to the punishment will be submitted to the Principal within a period of 2 weeks. In exceptional circumstances, The Principal may grant extension to the time limit under information to the complainant and the accused.
C. Process of Enquiry
The process of enquiry should be such to ensure that principles of natural justice are adhered to.
D. Punishment / Penalties for ‘ragging’
Based on the report of enquiry submitted by the ‘Enquiry Committee’, the Principal will be empowered to impose any of the punishment/(s) listed below or any other kind of punishment, which he may consider to be appropriate.
- Withholding scholarships or other benefits
- Debarring from representation of events.
- Withholding results
- Expulsion from hostel / mess.
- Debarring from examination/s.
- Suspension from the class for a limited period.
- Fine with public apology
- Prosecuting for criminal offence.
- Filing FIR with the local police
- Cancellation of admission / expulsion from the institution.
- Collective punishment in case the individual/(s) committing or abetting “ragging” are not identified.
Appeal with regards to any action taken against the accused at any level and / or against the punishment awarded under this policy by the Principal, shall lie with the Chairman, which should be filed within a period of two weeks from such an action or award of punishment.
V. SAVING AND REPEAL CLAUSE
Chairman of the Solan Homoeopathic Medical College & Hospital will posses the sole authority for any interpretation, modification, or amendment to the policy depending upon the need from time to time. He will also posses powers to exercise his discretion with respect to any or all of the clauses of this policy.
|Designation||Ragging Reporting Telephone Numbers|
|Minister of Ayurveda, Govt. of Himachal Pradesh||0177 2625400|
|Principal Secretary, Department of ISM & Homoeopathy||0177 2621904|
|Director, Department of ISM & Homoeopathy||0177 2622262|
|Principal, Dr. N. P. Singh, Chairman-Anti Ragging Committee||092186 89991|
|Dr. Rajnesh Sharma, Co-Chairman-Anti Ragging Committee||09129656016|
|Mr. Vishal Sharma, Administrative Officer||098160 86657|
|Dr. Pawan Dviwedi – Member||098053 87757|
|Mrs. Meenu Sharma, Warden – Girls Hostel||09882137069|